Monday, October 13, 2008

1989 Bowman


There was much anticipation and celebration over Topps' release of their Bowman issue. For the life of me I don't know why. Perhaps it was that bitching Lou Whitaker facsimile autograph?

Yeah, they were sort of a throwback with their complete lack of any sort of design and odd size (they would never do that again) but they just didn't take off like expected. Topps was already in half-assed mode with the first issue of this set (see the recycled Steve Searcy photo) and there was really nothing special about these whatsoever. Take away the Ken Griffey Jr. RC card and I bet you could still find as many unopened boxes of these as you can 1990 Score.


The 1989 Bowman Detroit Tigers:
92 Frank Tanana
93 Jack Morris
94 Doyle Alexander
95 Steve Searcy
96 Randy Bockus
97 Jeff Robinson
98 Mike Henneman
99 Paul Gibson
100 Frank Williams
101 Matt Nokes
102 Rico Brogna
103 Lou Whitaker
104 Al Pedrique
105 Alan Trammell
106 Chris Brown
107 Pat Sheridan
108 Chet Lemon
109 Keith Moreland

Unfortunately, I do not have the card of Randy Bockus. I'm only missing a few of these and he is one. Perhaps that explains why I have no recollection whatsoever of him. I don't even know what position he played. Retrosheet says he was a pitcher.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/B/Pbockr001.htm

I guess I'll have to take their word for it....

2 comments:

The Drizz said...

i actually remember liking this set. just picked up a sheff rc for a buck the other day.

lookjona said...

Randy Bockus is ugly.