Wednesday, September 10, 2008

2008 Topps Limited Edition Premium Team Set



Boy, that's a mouthful. But hey, that what they called it, not me.

One day I'll blog about my addiction to Topps cards and my inability to adhere to my repeated vows to never again purchase their products. It won't be today though.

There are two reasons that I was willing to purchase this set.

1. You get the entire 55 card set in the box. No crappy collation in here.

2. Let's just say that my "aluminum relocation program" was much more successful than that of Kramer and Newman. 

On to the set. 

I like it.

No, that's not a typo. As usual with Topps, there is plenty of room for improvement, but overall it's a nice issue. I think my only major disappointment with it is the lack of prospects/rookies included. There are a few of the "rookie cards" (cards with that little logo that means absolutely nothing, of course...) but no cards of any real prospects. (Are Topps or Upper Deck ever going to make a Rick Porcello card?)


Otherwise though, I like it. There are highlight, leader, and combo cards aplenty. There are cool cards of Paws and Comerica Park. I like that I get the bench players from my favorite team, and not from the other 29 teams. For a team set collector, this is a pretty good offering that I hope to see Topps continue in the future. 


Here's the checklist:
1 Jim Leyland
2 Curtis Granderson 20-20-20-20 Highlight
3 Magglio Ordonez
4 Team Leaders HR: Ordonez, Sheffield, and Granderson
5 Justin Verlander
6 Ivan Rodriguez
7 Dontrelle Willis
8 Miguel Cabrera
9 Silver Sluggers: Ordonez and Polanco
10 Team Leaders ERA: Verlander, Durbin, and Robertson
11 Nate Robertson
12 Carlos Guillen
13 Five Midsummer Classic Particpants
14 Kenny Rogers
15 Ryan Raburn
16 Justin Verlander No-Hitter Highlight
17 Placido Polanco
18 Jeremy Bonderman
19 Team Leaders Strikeouts: Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson
20 Curtis Granderson
21 Classic Combos: Granderson and Guillen
22 Joel Zumaya
23 Team Leaders Batting Average: Ordonez, Polanco, and Granderson
24 AL Player of the Week: Curtis Granderson
25 Edgar Renteria
26 Andy Van Slyke
27 Todd Jones
28 AL Batting Title: Magglio Ordonez
29 Gary Sheffield
30 Fernando Rodney
31 Team Leaders Wins: Verlander, Bonderman, and Robertson
32 Vance Wilson
33 Bobby Seay
34 Gene Lamont
35 AL Player of the Month: Magglio Ordonez
36 Matt Joyce RC
37 Zach Miner
38 Team Leaders Hits: Ordonez, Polanco, Granderson
39 Brandon Inge
40 Macay McBride
41 Chuck Hernandez
42 Gold Gloves: Rodriguez and Polanco
43 Marcus Thames
44 Jason Grilli
45 Team Leader Innings Pitched: Verlander, Robertson, and Bonderman
46 MLB Triples Leader: Curtis Granderson
47 Team Leaders RBI: Ordonez, Guillen, and Sheffield
48 Ramon Santiago
49 Classic Combos: Cabrera, Guillen, Polanco, and Renteria
50 Armando Galarraga
51 Lloyd McClendon
52 Classic Combos: Rodriguez and Rogers
53 MLB Doubles Leader: Magglio Ordonez
54 Paws
55 Comerica Park


Ok, there are a couple of more small beefs I have, and since this is my blog, I'll list them.

1. There are three leaders cards that feature the same three players. I think one "Pitching Leaders" card would have sufficed, especially if it would have let a Rafael Belliard or a Rod Allen get his own card.

2. This is the 4th Topps issue this year that has the exact same design. (And I'm not counting the Opening Day set, which is probably close enough to count...) The base set, the chrome, the 14 card team sets, and now this all look exactly the same. Kudos to Topps for at least using different photographs for all those issues, but sets like this would be a perfect opportunity for Topps to unleash some new looks. It's not like they're blowing us away with the 2008 design.....

3. I should've been allowed to send 220 empty beer cans directly to Topps in exchange for this set, instead of having to take them to Michigan.

1 comment:

James B. Anama said...

I don't know why I've never seen this blog before, but you are now added to the Sports Card Blog Roll.

Sincerely,

JayBee Anama

P.S.: How much for the set, and could you buy me another one??? jba