Saturday, September 20, 2008

1984 Fleer


Like the '84 Topps, it's hard to be objective about these because of the nostalgia associated with them. Also like '84 Topps, they are plain and mediocre. In hindsight they were a precursor to many of the Limited Edition 44 card box sets that Fleer would mass produce in the latter half of the 80's. At least the blue stripes on the cards were the same color as the blue in the Tigers logos. I can't imagine an A's or Reds fan being all that wild about these.

Sure, I'll be glad to tell another story from the wonderful summer of '84. I had just finished my 10th grade year at Anchor Bay High School. I got my first job that summer working for a landscaper making $3.50 an hour cash under the table to the tune of about $60 a week. I invested most of it in cassette tapes and baseball cards, but there was plenty left over for trips to Tigers games too. All total I went to twelve games in 1984. I was 0-8 on the season in August before finally seeing my first win, a blowout against the A's.


http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1984/B08200DET1984.htm

My brother, my buddies Jim and Gary from high school, and I regularly went to games that summer. But since none of us was old enough to drive, Jim's dad would tote us all to the games and drop us off and my dad would be waiting on Trumbell in front of the bleachers entrance for us after the games. I could go on for 1,000 more words about how much fun those nights were and the smile it brings to my face to think about them now all these years later, but I won't. Suffice it to say that if you were there, you know what I'm talking about.


Hey, enough already. Let's get on with the 1984 Fleer Detroit Tigers:
74 Glenn Abbott
75 Howard Bailey
76 Doug Bair
77 Juan Berenguer
78 Tom Brookens
79 Enos Cabell
80 Kirk Gibson
81 John Grubb
82 Larry Herndon
83 Wayne Krenchicki
84 Rick Leach
85 Chet Lemon
86 Aurelio Lopez
87 Jack Morris
88 Lance Parrish
89 Dan Petry
90 Dave Rozema
91 Alan Trammell
92 Lou Whitaker
93 Milt Wilcox
94 Glenn Wilson
95 John Wockenfuss
637 Super Star Special Lance Parrish
650 Team Checklist

Fleer introduced their first Update set in 1984. I have none of these, since they were very scarce and at one time you could bankroll your kid's college education cheaper than you could pick one up. But since the stars have all dimmed on the three rookie cards that made this so expensive (Clemens, Gooden, and Puckett) I may just try and hunt one down one of these days.

11U Dave Bergman
36U Darrell Evans
42U Barbaro Garbey
51U Willie Hernandez
59U Ruppert Jones
66U Rusty Kuntz

1 comment:

lookjona said...

1984 Fleer Stickers
Again, same story as the '83 stickers...this time with a gold border.
13. Lou Whitaker
14. Alan Trammell
30. Lou Whitaker
83. Jack Morris