Saturday, November 22, 2008

1993 Fleer


Wow, I didn't realize that it's been over two weeks since my last entry. Between Facebook, other writing projects, and just plain writer's block when thinking about the upcoming lackluster 90's sets, I just haven't been able to muster up the gumption to get on here and keep plugging away. But with a little help from my friends at Anheuser-Busch, maybe I can get something going tonight.

There were a couple of great looking issues from Fleer in '93. This wasn't one of them. This is quite possibly one of the most boring sets ever. But compared to a lot of the crap that came out in the 90's, boring is ok. 

At the time I actually thought these were pretty cool and collected the whole 9 billion card base set, which I gave away shortly after completing. But I kept the Tigers cards, so here they are, pink trim be damned. 


The 1993 Fleer Detroit Tigers:
224 Milt Cuyler
225 Rob Deer
226 John Doherty
227 Cecil Fielder
228 Trvis Fryman
229 Mike Henneman
230 John Kiely
231 Kurt Knudsen
232 Scott Livingstone
233 Tony Phillips
234 Mickey Tettleton
345  League Leaders Cecil Fielder
603 Skeeter Barnes
604 Mark Carreon
605 Dan Gladden
606 Bill Gullickson
607 Chad Kreuter
608 Mark Leiter
609 Mike Munoz
610 Rich Rowland
611 Frank Tanana
612 Walt Terrell
613 Alan Trammell
614 Lou Whitaker
711 Round Trippers Cecil Fielder
714 Super Star Special Cecil Fielder


There were a few different inserts, but I only have one. At least it was the one of one of the greatest players in MLB history, and I'm not talking about Cecil. (sorry, that's a Detroit Tigers Forum inside joke.....check out the link in the sidebar to find many more)

1993 AL All-Stars
5 Cecil Fielder

Major League Prospects
15 Rico Brogna

Pro-Visions II
3 Cecil Fielder

Rookie Sensations
6 Scott Livingstone


Fleer introduced the mother of all update sets in '93, with this one checking in at 300 cards. So essentially it was a full third series. No inserts that I know of, but a nice list of Tigers.

1993 Fleer Final Edition:
209F Kirk Gibson
210F Greg Gohr
211F Bill Krueger
212F Bob MacDonald
213F Mike Moore
214F David Wells


I've mentioned before my rule of collecting Tigers team sets, but it was a long time ago, so I'll mention it again, because one of the rules applies here. My general rule of thumb is that if the team listed on the front says "Detroit Tigers" and the player is pictured in another uniform, or like the '88 Topps Dickie Noles card it says in small print something about playing for the Tigers, or the player featured is in a Tigers uniform even though he is listed on another team, he goes in my team set collection. 

It's sort of hard for me to keep track of these because I don't have the full sets to look through to verify that I have these exceptions. The folks who published the team set book I am using (which is getting very near it's end) don't see it the way I see it. So I'm more or less at the mercy of either having it or not to be able to list it here. 

Three paragraphs about this lousy Kevin Ritz card. It may not be quality, but I's say the writers block has lifted for the time being. 

No comments: