Wednesday, August 6, 2008

1985 Fleer Update



I am "working from home" today, still reeling from last night's bitter defeat to the White Sox, so what better way for me to cheer up than to blog about one of my favorite card designs of the 80's. I have always been a big fan of the '85 Fleer cards. Nice clean photos, trimmed with team colors, and a prominently placed team logo make this a fresh looking set still today.

I picked up a couple of these at The National for $2 apiece. For the price of two packs of Topps Opening Day, I think these are quite a steal. I can't even begin to imagine how many of these Fleer must have produced for this set of 132 cards to sell for that cheap.


I guess the "big card" would be the Ozzie Guillen rookie card. (I take small solace in the fact that he was serving game one of his two game suspension last night during the Tigers 14th inning, 10-8 loss...) Yo Ozzie, hit THIS!!!


There are four HOFers in this set. (Yes, I am counting Rickey. Because, you know, Rickey already be counting Rickey.) Hell, I'd forgotten that Don Sutton once played for the A's. I'll bet most Braves fans would like to forget that Bruce Sutter once played for the Braves. I'm sure many Mets fans would have already forgotten that Gary Carter once played for the Mets, if only Gary would let them.


There are four Tigers in the set, including another Sparky Anderson overhyped phenom, Chris Pittaro. Sparky once contemplated moving Lou Whitaker to third before placing Pittaro there out of spring training in 1985. Pittaro, replacing Howard Johnson, who was traded for Walt Terrell, played all of 28 games for the Tigers that year. He and Alex Sanchez the First were later traded to the Twins for Dave Engle. 

87U-Chris Pittaro
98U-Alex Sanchez
103U-Nelson Simmons
118U-Walt Terrell

I don't have anything on Nelson Simmons. For that I apologize.

I can reiterate enough how much I like the '85 Fleer stickers. I'm going to get a full set of these one way or another.


I have no clue who this guy is. Wasn't he the governor of Alabama or Oklahoma in the 70's?

No comments: