Wednesday, April 16, 2008

2008 Upper Deck Series 1

I'm only doing this because I feel obligated. There is nothing much at all interesting going on in this set. The base cards look like 1995 Upper Deck. The O-Pee-Chee insert cards sorta resemble 1969 Topps, and the Hot Commodities insert cards look like insert cards from one mid 90's Fleer. Nothing much original at all going on with these. 

This is the first year in a long time that I've collected Upper Deck and that's only because these fell in my lap so to speak. I see I haven't been missing much. I do like the card of Chad Durbin, where you can see Curtis Granderson way back in center field getting ready to make a mad dash to whichever wall this ball ends up going over. Anyhow, on to the checklist.



47 Edgar Renteria
80 Jacque Jones
261 Jeremy Bonderman
262 Chad Durbin
263 Andrew Miller
264 Bobby Seay
265 Todd Jones
266 Brandon Inge
267 Sean Casey
268 Placido Polanco
269 Gary Sheffield
270 Magglio Ordonez
377 Magglio Ordonez Team Checklist
385 Curtis Granderson Season Highlights
394 Justin Verlander Season Highlights



I always liked '69 Topps. But these just flat out suck. You can barely make out the player's name with the light gray metallic ink used. There was not much effort put into these at all.

OPC-MO Magglio Ordonez
OPC-ER Edgar Renteria
OPC-GS Gary Sheffield



And yet another lackluster insert set. Oooh, flames in the background. I get it. Hot Commodites. Oh boy! Didn't Fleer do something like this about ten years in a row with the Smoke N Heat insert cards. Yawn.

HC13 Justin Verlander
HC15 Gary Sheffield

I just happened to pull two of the Yankee Stadium legacy cards that were games against the Tigers. Whitey Ford and Kevin Maas. Whitey didn't even play in the game he's pictured on. I would put up a pic of one of them, but I just realized that I've lost total interest in this set. Plus the Tigers game is about to start and I want a beer.

No comments: