Saturday, May 3, 2008

Best 80's Albums No One Ever Listened To: Chapter 3


Returning from my vacation today, I found this old gem that gets regular play on my iPod. Alison Moyet was the lead singer of the early 80's pop band Yaz. As I was listening to this, I was trying to come up with something clever to say to properly relay just what exactly the sound and style of this album could be related to from it's time. The best that I could come up with.

Recipe for Raindancing:
1 heaping tablespoon of Annie Lennox
1 teaspoon of The Smiths
1/2 teaspoon of Dexy's Midnight Runners
Sprinkle with a pinch of T'Pau to taste

Well between there and here I did my usual looking up on wikipedia for artist background and discovered these glazed nuggets of information.

The album includes four single releases; "Is This Love" (co-written by the EurythmicsDavid A. Stewart under his 'Jean/Manu Guiot' pseudonym), "Weak in the Presence of Beauty", "Ordinary Girl" and "Sleep Like Breathing", a duet with David Freeman of the band The Lover Speaks.

and

The Lover Speaks was the new wave duo of David Freeman (vocals), and Joseph Hughes (arranger, composer). They sang the original version of the song "No More "I Love You's"", covered by Annie Lennox in 1995 on her Medusa album, taking it to #2 on the UK singles chart.

So there you go. I'm not really that clever at all. But it's still a great album that is definitely worth a listen. 

No comments: